Sunday, March 21, 2010

Winding Down Florida

I still have 4 weeks left of my Florida winter but the signs of it all ending are here. Most of my buddies leave for their northern homes at the end of the month and the sounds of "when do you leave?" are heard every day.

I usually hate this time of the year when the good friends I've spent my winter with pack up and leave but this year I have my baby Nolan to go home to so heading home will almost be welcome.

This has been a brutally cold winter in Florida, one of the coldest in history. But spending every day and most evenings with fun and interesting friends still made it one I wouldn't have missed. The Florida senior trailer park experience has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life.

My sister-in-law, Marilee, will arrive on March 31st for a week or so and I'm really looking forward to her visit. My other sister-in-law, Faye, doesn't leave here until about April 10th so there's still lots to look forward to this winter. The park will seem almost empty after the end of the month but activities still go on.

My friend, Marilyn, is driving back to Canada with me so that's another nice experience to look forward to. My life seems to be filled with good times and the anticipation of more to come so I'm very lucky.

A relative (who doesn't know me well) once commented on how lonely I must be since my husband passed away but that just isn't so. My days are always busy with mostly activities that I enjoy and I'm never bored or lonely because I've designed my life to suit me. Widowhood doesn't have to mean spending the rest of your life alone. For me it's meant opening up my heart to new friends who've helped make my life a happier one.

I don't know how many winters I have left to spend in Florida and no-one knows how many of the people I've grown to care deeply for will return next year. I wish so much it would continue forever but it won't. I'm just thankful for today.

Speaking of today...this morning I'll go out for breakfast with Sheila, Millie, and Donnie. Possibly Frank, Agnes, and Amy will join us, too. We do this every Sunday morning and enjoy a lovely breakfast, laughing and joking as we eat. Tonight is our annual Strawberry Social in the clubhouse so that's another park tradition I can't miss. Life is just so darned good!

No comments: