Friday, May 21, 2010

Cut Too Short

I've been using my friend's hairdresser lately and, although she's a genius at cutting hair, she cuts it way too short. I made a big mistake the first time I went to her last year and told her to do whatever she wanted with my hair. Big, giant mistake! She cut it in June and I went without another haircut until October so it could grow into an acceptable (to me) length.

My beef with most hairdressers is that they fail to listen to their customers. I actually had one tell me many years ago not to tell her how to cut my hair. Is it an ego thing or do they really think we don't know what we want?

My hairdresser in Florida does listen to me and does pretty well what I ask of her but she isn't the artist my Canadian hairdresser is. I'm quite willing to settle for less artistry, though, as long as they do what I want.

This last time I found a picture in a magazine to show her, described exactly what length I wanted, and even had my friend there for her to copy. She ended up scalping me again and even cut Mary's hair too short. Granted, the haircut is good but I won't be able to have it cut again for months. Mary said that at least I save money on haircuts!

Last year she angled my bangs like Kate Goslin and it took me the rest of the year to grow them in. They were almost non-existant on one side. This year, after all the explanations before she began to cut, she asked if it was okay to leave one side a tad longer. I looked in the mirror, thought the bang cut was already complete and said yes. SNIP! She clipped one side even shorter!

This hairdresser reminds me of Edward Scissorhands when she's cutting because she does it so quickly and thoroughly, shaping as she goes. She really is an artist but I don't think I can go to her again. Short, short hair is just not for me and it's obvious she doesn't listen carefully to her customer's requests.

I'll be looking for a new hairdresser some time in August!

No comments: