Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Favorite Mug

This is my favorite coffee mug, one I first reach for in the morning unless it's in the dishwasher. Every single time I see it I'm reminded of the day it became mine.

It was probably 15 years or so ago. I'm guessing that Kyle was about 7 or 8 and he's the one who paid for it.

It was my birthday and Cindy thought I'd like it if the kids...Tyson, Kyle, and Aeron...took me out for lunch and chose a gift for me from them. She was right because I was very touched by how much they wanted to please me. I don't remember why we chose this particular restaurant because I'd never been there before but it also featured a large gift shop.

We had a nice lunch which Kyle paid for. He was the one with the money because he was the only child with a wallet. It was so sweet to see him make lunch suggestions, worry in his mind that he hoped he had enough money to pay for it. No fear. The lunch was lovely and then we all walked around the gift shop. This time it was me who had to be careful what I chose because I didn't know how much money he had in his little wallet.

Kyle, the man with the wallet, seemed to take charge and gently pointed out different items he thought I might like. I remember him saying gently and hopefully in his sweet little boy voice, "Do you like this, Gramma?", as he picked up items for me to consider. My heart still melts when I think of that day and that moment. In the back of my memories are Tyson and Aeron who also made suggestions but it is Kyle I remember most.

I don't know which one of us spotted this mug, but Kyle knew I drank coffee every morning and this mug was so pretty. I checked the price and made sure it wasn't outrageous before making my decision. Yes, this mug would make a wonderful birthday present, one I'd use for years and bring back happy memories.

We took the mug to the cashier and Kyle dug once more into his now lighter wallet. He was so serious and so small, but so proud of himself.

I hope I have the mug as long as I live because who could ask for better memories?

No comments: