Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Warm and Windy

Without these gale force winds today, it would be the perfect day to do yard work but I've learned that fighting winds like this while trying to clean up or plant in my garden isn't worth the effort. I like to be at peace while planning and planting and not chasing things blowing around the yard.

I did give in and plant 2 pots of yellow marigolds and 1 pot of lilac pansies, though, just to start out a few of my mixed planters. Most of the tulips are still looking good because I planted early, mid, and late ones so that, by the time the early ones have dropped their petals, the late ones are fresh and perky.

Yesterday I got out the leaf blower and cleared the patio and deck so it will look nice until the cherry pits start to fall. I never realized until my husband passed away and I had to do all the work what a bonus a leaf blower is. I take mine back and forth with me to Florida and use it often both here and there.

It's important to have good, comfortable tools and I'm thinking of splurging on a heavy plastic wheel barrow that's easier for me to handle. The problem is that I'll only be in this house for a few more years so is it worth the investment? Right now I've got a huge bag of soil (1500 pounds worth!) sitting in the driveway waiting to be dispersed and I'm not sure I have the strength to do much of it. My grandson is going to lend me his muscles on Friday to move some huge, heavy rocks around my front garden and to top up soil there, too, but it will take quite a bit of work to empty that big yellow bag! I know I don't need all of this soil this year but it will be handy to have it for next year, too.

I'm still in the planning stages of my 2010 garden. The most important part is the 13 deck planters that need careful consideration. They all get at least half full sun so I need to make sure they don't dry out when I'm off on a trip. Impatiens is my mainstay in those pots because of the many color choices and the way they spill over the sides. Then I learned that lamium (ground cover) mixes in nicely and trails for as long a length as I let it. It also doesn't cost me anything because I have tons of it in the back garden.

But it's spring days like this, sunny, warm, and even windy, that my hands itch to get into the garden and bring it to life with color. Every year I promise myself I won't rush it and plant too early but every year my car heads to the nurseries in early May. Today it was marigolds and pansies but even I have more restraint than to plant impatiens before the last week in May. Of course, there are lots of hardier plants that I can think about for my many planters and bedding spots so I won't have to wait too long!

No comments: