Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quake Effect

This last earthquake started in the Ottawa area but was felt as far south as here in Hamilton, anyway. It wasn't the first time we'd had minor quakes but this one startled me a little more.

I was sitting on the sofa watching T.V. and felt the sofa sort of jump. It felt even stronger than when Kim's dog, Baker, gets under it and walks from end to end banging her sturdy little body on the underside of the sofa. My first thought was that someone was under there and my heart stopped for a second. Then the shudder occurred again and I was ready to run for the door.

It took only seconds before my wild imagination was replaced with reason and I felt a little foolish for panicking. I checked the walls of the house to make sure no cracks had occurred but all was okay.

It sort of amazes me that an earthquake (5.0) so far away would make the earth tremble right here.

No comments: