Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Quiet Mornings

There's something about a quiet early morning that soothes you. I've always loved those times when I was up before anyone else and the peace and quiet of a sleeping household was mine alone.

I live alone now and most of my mornings are like that, the only sounds are the hum of the refrigerator at work and the distant traffic. Lately there's been the annoying squawking of crows who have apparently nested nearby but that's only shortlived before they fly off.

When I was younger I used to love to sleep in late but now I'd hate to miss those lovely early mornings, sometimes even watching the sun rise to announce a new day. It's not as nice in the wintertime when the sun rise is later. I'm not as happy starting my day in the pitch dark.

They say that you need less sleep as you grow older and maybe that's nature's way of helping us make the most of the time we have left. I never appreciated the beauty of nature in my youth as I do now so we do learn a few things of value as we age, too.

I once knew a lady who had terminal cancer and she chose to spend her dwindling days at work in the office. If I have anything to say about it, I'd like to spend mine with my loved ones but also being outside to watch the wind rustle the leaves and the birds trilling happily as they fly from post to post. I don't know if these sights will make me any happier than they do now but that's enough.

No comments: