Sunday, June 27, 2010

Relics or Treasures?

I went to a 49 1/2 birthday party for my nephew last night and, as usual, the generations split up to sit at their own tables. It makes sense, we have different things to talk about.

Larry, the 49 1/2 year old, was more than surprised by the party. His wife had a great idea and it worked. A lot of the family was there along with many of their friends and the whole party meshed quite well...until I went over to my daughter's table to talk to her.

Kim mentioned that the people at her table were the old ones (40's and 50's) and I said, "well, what the hell are we?", pointing to my table of 60's and 70's vintage. She replied that we were relics and I was shocked. Relics are sort of staid and stuffy and none of us are anything like that. I decided that we were not relics but treasures.

We've become the generation where we need to set an example for the young uns. We're here and we're dear. Love us, cater to us, and then get out of our way because were the free generation. We can spend our days as we please and most of us are enjoying this stage of our lives with great passion.

Relics? The title just doesn't fit.

2 comments:

Kim said...

See, my definition of relic is something very old and very dear. I meant it in a nice way. Relics are treasures!!! Trust me, each and every one at that table is VERY treasured, you included xoxox

patsyrose said...

Bullshit! But I love you anyway!!