Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Sometimes I Need Help

I am fortunate enough to have a vast number of people in my life that I can turn to when I really need help. My family, friends, and neighbors are the best in the world. I took a chance this spring and bought one of those huge bags of garden soil knowing I'd have to ask someone to unload most of it for me. That someone turned out to be my grandson, Matt.

Matt worked all day yesterday and then came up to my house after work to shovel out half a ton of dirt and distribute it over my garden. He listened politely when I warned him not to step on any of my plants and he even cleaned the driveway and the wheel barrow (my neighbor's) when he finished. He understands fully what it means to be part of a family...we help each other in whatever is needed.

Matthew and I are very close because we've had lots and lots of contact since he was born. I babysat him and his brother often when they were little and he's almost like a son to me. Close family relationships are very important...but then anyone who reads my blogs knows how I feel about that.

I'd promised Matt that I'd take him out for dinner after he finished moving the soil but he said he'd eaten earlier. I know Matt. We went out for dinner anyway and he ate like a horse. We talked like old friends over dinner and I thought how nice this was, a young man and an old gal who could communicate so easily.

I drove him home and kissed him goodbye and we told each other "I love you". This morning he phoned me from work and asked how much a return flight from Florida would cost. He wants to drive down with me in the fall. Now isn't that precious??

1 comment:

志文 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.