Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Healing Quality of Love

I believe in a physical/chemical transference of love from one person to another. When you are in contact with someone you know loves you, there is a definite vibe in the air that lifts you in some way and explains the true meaning of life. You absorb it and it enhances you.

I just read that paragraph over and it doesn't quite say what I want it to say but it's the best I can do.

What got me thinking in this vein was reading my niece, Valerie's, blog about our latest trip to Florida and how wonderful it was to be part of a huge and loving family. What I felt in the air there was electric, a joining of souls, a vibrant inclusion in a family that made each of us stronger than we'd be by ourselves. It was such a happy experience that expanded exponentially with each additional family member who joined the crowd. Talk about a love fest!

I can understand in a way how a church goer feels when part of the congregation. There is a bonding that occurs which has a healing quality when we're not alone in the world. The more people of a like mind, the more intense the experience. It's similar to the mob mentality that rioters feel but, in a loving context, it's one heck of a nicer feeling.

With the family in Florida, there weren't any two people exactly alike and yet we blended and flowed as one. The binding component was our common love of family and it's importance in our lives. When I look back on that trip, I'll always remember the unique events but I'll mainly remember the good feelings that emerged from being part of the whole.

Family, blood or otherwise, is what gives us purpose. It's what gives meaning to our lives.



No comments: