Monday, July 12, 2010

A Long, Long Blog


This is going to be a long one because it covers a week I just spent going to, being in, and returning from Florida. I wouldn't have missed it for the world because the fun we had took 10 years off our lives. The main reason for this trip was to celebrate my son-in-law's (John)retirement from the U.S. Air Force.

Faye, Mary, and I left here on Tuesday morning, picking up Mary at 6:30 A.M. (she crawled into the car pretending she was awake but I could tell from her eyes that she was in shock). We started our driving trip to Florida and would return 6 days later. Even I thought we were insane even though we were leaving temps in the mid 30'sC (mid 90'sF) so how much worse could it be in Florida? Ho, Ho, Ho! As we crossed the border into the States, the border guard asked us where we were going and when we told him Florida, he looked shocked and yelped, "Why??".

We drove on with 2 distinct maps, one from CAA and one from MapQuest. They differed slightly but we used both of them and never got lost once. Our aim was to at least reach close to Nashville, Tennessee our first night and we pretty well made it. We had bought some booze at the duty free at the border so we happily settled in with our drink of choice before turning in for the night. End of day 1.

Wednesday morning we all crawled out of bed at different times and met in the motel breakfast room once we were washed and dressed. I prefer orange juice to coffee when I'm travelling but couldn't find it at first but soon discovered some cups half filled with what I THOUGHT was odd looking orange juice. Let me tell you that waffle batter doesn't taste very good!

Anyway, teeth brushed, off we went knowing we'd reach our destination later in the day. Every time we got out of the car we just about perished from the heat and we were still heading south! We arrived in Navarre around dinnertime, quickly unpacked and had a fast food meal before driving across to Navarre Island where Shelley and John had rented a huge beachhouse for the week. Most of the family was staying there but we wisely chose to stay in a motel so we could get away from the madness once in a while.

All I had bothered to note about the location of the rental house was that it looked like a castle. Sure enough, we found it, much to the surprise of Faye and Mary who doubted me. As we stepped inside the entrance which was the lower level, we could hear pure bedlam coming from the upper floors so up we went. The house was massive but the crowds of family in the kitchen/dining/livingroom area hid that.

I'll give a quick list of who was staying in the house: Shelley, John, Lisette, Wes, Nicole, Jake, Carmen, Juan, George, Rosie, Johnny, Miranda, Manny (2 1/2 years old and I'm madly in love with him),Cuqui, Rich, Mackenzie, Hayley, Nicholas, Michael, Caroline, their 2 girls and 2 friends, Kim, Cindy, Valerie, Matt (already painfully sunburnt), Kyle...could I have missed someone?? Anyway, this house could hold them all and more.

There were actually 2 laundryrooms in the house. The 2nd floor held the living/kitchen/diningroom plus 2 bedrooms each with an alcove which held another bed, each bedroom had their own bathroom and there was also a guest bathroom on the 2nd level. The 3rd floor had a monstrous family room and (I think) 4 bedrooms also with the added alcoves with beds. The top floor held the master bedroom where Shelley and John slept. The bed was so high you almost needed a ladder to get into it. Did I forget to mention that there were front and back balconies on every floor? The place was damn big! (I forgot to add that there was also an elevator in the house servicing all 4 floors!).

It was so good to see that side of the family again because we don't get to see each other often enough. Matt had arrived on Sunday and Kim, Cindy, Val, and Kyle had arrived just before us. Our combined families love each other very much and I know we're all so thankful it's turned out this way. I gave Carmen a Swedish weaving afghan I'd made for her and she was very touched. I'd also made Shelley some Swedish weaving runners for her Georgia bedroom...she liked them, thank heavens.

Kim had a cute story to tell us. When her party landed at the airport in Florida, she rented a car. Beforehand she'd seen on the internet that married couples and partners didn't have to pay the extra $15 per day so they both could drive the vehicle. When she was filling out the paperwork to rent the car, the clerk told her it would cost $15 per day for Cindy to be able to drive it, too. "Even if we're (gay) partners?", Kim asked. "Oh, you're partners...no, no extra cost then", replied the clerk. Cindy was very tempted to reach over and give Kim a kiss but she didn't have the nerve. They unnerved the clerk so much she didn't even question why Kim and Cindy had different addresses on their driver's licences. My girls will never live this down!

As I said before, it was bedlam in the house with kids running everywhere, people appearing and disappearing into other areas of the house, hugging, kissing, and just soaking up the family atmosphere. Food and drinks were on every surface...help yourself!

The huge house was beautifully air conditioned but it was also pleasant to sit out on the shaded balconies because of the ocean breezes. We were across the road from the beach but could see the ocean easily from the front balconies. The sand was everywhere and not soiled by the Gulf oil spill as I'd thought it would be.

Johnny, John's nephew, is only 17 years old and very talented. He put on a terrific show for us with flaming batons. We had a nice talk one of the evenings and I hope I convinced him to go on to university instead of carrying on with his craft. He was torn about going to university or accepting a job offer in California. I always tell kids that my biggest regret in life is that I never even finished high school and that I wish so much that I'd gone to university.

Later in the evening Faye, Mary, and I went back to our motel and settled in once again with a couple of drinks. As Mary and I sat talking, Faye went running by towards the bathroom with her hand on her mouth. We thought she was laughing but it turned out she'd mistakenly taken a swig of the gin I'd put in a water bottle. We ended up laughing ourselves silly over that.

You know how even on the hottest day in Ontario that the early mornings are usually cooler and fresher? Well, that isn't the case in Florida. We'd step outside to walk up to the breakfast room and our glasses would fog up from the heat, even at 6:30 in the morning. It was relentless.

Well, on Thursday we all had to meet in the late afternoon and join a caravan headed to the base so we could all get passes to enter the base on Friday for John's retirement ceremony. Somehow we all made it to the base. Passes were obtained (3 more of John's family had arrived also) but, one glitch...Matt didn't realize he shouldn't walk up to the guards and take pictures. We heard a yell from one of the soldiers who raced up to Matt and questioned him. He's lucky he wasn't arrested.

We were allowed onto the base and took a little tour of the helicopters and planes on display. It was just too hot to enjoy it and that's how the rest of our stay was...just too hot to reap as much enjoyment outside as we would have liked. When we left the base we all went to a Chinese buffet in the next town. I think there were 32 or 33 of us so we filled 3 long tables. Considering all the younger children there, they behaved themselved beautifully. With a large crowd like that, the older kids usually look after the little ones which really gives the parents a break.

Events on certain days are a little confusing but I believe it was Thursday evening that a man drowned just across the road from the house. I heard that he was attempting to save a couple of kids and ended up drowning himself. So sad.

Friday morning we had to be up at 6 A.M. (poor Mary may never forgive me but she was a trouper through it all) so we could be ready to join the caravan once more at 7:30 A.M. to head to the base for the ceremony. We drove in, easily and politely given access, and drove to the chapel where pictures were taken and coffee was consumed. I think it was around 9 when we all marched out to the courtyard under a blazing, searing sun to sit in our appointed chairs which had been lined up under large awnings. Most of us were very comfortable in the shade but the first row was in the sun and must have been awful for the immediate family. John was in full uniform, as were many of the soldiers present. It was a rather large contingent of officers and family...very impressive.

Much of the ceremony was serious but there was lots of humor, especially when one of the Colonels picked up one of John's old prosthesus (clean) and drank a Diet Coke from it. This has become one of their rituals. There were many complimentary words said about our John but what I'll remember most is when he got up to speak and said that his most precious medal was Shelley. I know, and everyone else knew, that he meant that with all his heart.

As the ceremony ended, John presented bouquets of flowers to Shelley, Lisette, Nicole, Carmen, old Carmen (his grandmother), Elvira (his aunt), and also to me. I was so overcome I cried. As I hugged and kissed John, I could see how overwhelmed he was by all the people who had come to honor him. He's an emotional man but too full of pride to allow himself to break down in front of everyone.

Soon we all went to our cars and drove to what I think is his unit's sort of clubhouse...it probably isn't called that and maybe isn't because it has an auditorium. We filled the auditorium as John thanked everyone and then was presented with gifts from his fellow soldiers and plaques from the Air Force. Shelley received a few, too. When all was said and done, we went into their lunchroom for cake that Shelley had brought for everyone.

As we left the base, once again beaten down by the heat that assailed us just walking to and from the car, Mary and Faye decided to have a little nap while I went over to the beachhouse to help prepare for the evening's party. It seemed as though everything needed was being done but without any clear plan...doesn't make any difference as long as it gets done. John decided he wanted balloons so I went out to Walmart and got them, then picked up Faye and Mary on the way back. A bunch of us blew up balloons, cut and tied on string and then attached them to the balcony railings where most of them quickly broke loose and blew away. Some smart person realized that the string was coming untied so we taped every balloon down with duct tape and hoped it wouldn't take the paint off the railings.

Soon the house began to fill up (even more) with John and Shelley's friends...military and otherwise. Some had come from long distances for the occasion and one even drove John's precious 1966 (I think) Mustang all the way down from Illinois for him. Don had looked after it while John and Shelley were in Bolivia. Most of the kids partied up on the 3rd floor but everyone else crowded the 2nd floor and balconies. We sang "Oh Canada" and "The Star Spangled Banner". Elvira and old Carmen sang something in Spanish but refused to sing the Cuban national anthem because they don't approve of communism.

Much was eaten and drunk...maybe a bit too much on my part at least. I had a wonderful time, darn it. We spoke for a while with the wife of one of John's friends and she happened to know how to give massages and asked me if I'd like one. Hell, yes! Sumkit, a tiny Vietnamese lady, kneaded my back and shoulders until I purred. She said she gives her husband a massage every night. No wonder you see so many military men with Vietnamese wives!

Kyle showed up with a Budweiser label and nobly presented it to me...I have no idea why but I took it. Later in the evening I stuck it on my upper chest and hunted down the boys to show them. Talk about grossing the poor little devils out! Kyle gave me another one and I considered telling him I'd use them for pasties but decided not to because grandsons can only take so much grossing out from their grandmothers.

Johnny gave another flaming baton show while we cheered him on. I'd finally gotten used to his expertise and didn't worry so much about him setting himself on fire so I could really enjoy it.

I think we ended up leaving around midnight and going back to our quiet little motel room for a good night sleep.

Saturday morning we took it easy and didn't go over to the beachhouse until after lunch and just hung around. Shelley had wisely had a cleaner come in and make the house presentable again. Many of the relatives had left for home but the house was still pretty full. We'd apparently missed a wild morning of singing, dancing, and laughter before we showed up and I was so sorry to have missed it. I love John's family. They are so full of love and joy.

Kim told me that she and a few others went over to the beach before we got there and found a lovely arch, chairs, and strewn rose petals, apparently for a wedding. They thought the wedding was already over so they traipsed through the rose petals and posed for pictures in the arbor. Suddenly a screaming woman (wedding planner) came running at them and told them to get out because they'd messed up the wedding setting and the wedding hadn't taken place yet. Good grief!

In the afternoon, Val and Cindy rented mopeds and sped off like demons down the road. I wasn't sure what would end up happening to them but I didn't expect it to end up well. Cindy ended up getting a terrible sunburn which made Matt's look not so bad.

Faye, Mary, and I went out to buy dessert for dinner while the rest of them prepared salads, spare ribs, rice, etc. which the whole gang of us consumed. John explained some of the things that went on in the Air Force. One of their rituals is to carry a coin with them and when one throws their's on the floor, any soldier who doesn't have their coin with them has to buy a round of drinks. When John lost his leg and was lying in the hospital, his commanding officer came to visit him and threw his coin on the floor. John, incapacitated in his hospital bed, shook his head and all he could say was, "Sir". The message his commanding officer was giving him was that he was still part of the group. I'm sure that there are a million stories like that in the military. They are a special breed of people.

Soon it was time for us to leave and the hugging and kissing began in earnest. Kids were called to come out from whatever corner of the house they'd escaped to and subjected to as many kissyhugs they'd tolerate. The adults rapidly made plans to meet somewhere, somehow sooner than we usually do. I hope it happens but we all live busy lives and it's not easy considering how far apart we live.

The beachhouse gang urged us to go and get our car which was parked next door in a vacant lot and drive back to the house, backing in so they could do a ceremonial goodbye by pushing the car onto the road and singing, "Olay, olay, Olay, olay!!!". Mary, who was our night driver because Faye and I can't see to drive in the dark, did as she was told and those crazy, wonderful people pushed us out singing at the top of their lungs. We finally drove away, waving and yelling. It was exhilarating and left me, anyway, feeling so fortunate to be part of that wonderful, high-spirited family.

Faye, Mary, and I started back home about 8:30 A.M. the next morning, happy we'd come but happy to be going home, too. We had an uneventful but fun trip home. We always have fun together and there's always lots of laughter. I thanked them for being such good friends and family, too. I am so blessed to have them.

I dropped Mary off at her house and then Faye off at hers. Then I drove home to a very quiet and empty house of my own. It was nice after being surrounded by chaos, even if it was wonderful, for 6 days. I enjoy my periods of solitude, being alone with nowhere pressing to go and nothing pressing to do.

Before I end this terribly long blog I want to say in print what I say to anyone who'll listen. I will be thankful all the days of my life that John is my baby girl's life mate. I couldn't have wished more for her than this wonderful man.


P.S. I love the picture at the top of this blog. "Mary, Pat, and Faye", 3 good friends who haven't let age keep us from having a hell of a good time!







No comments: