Monday, July 05, 2010

Florida in July

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow morning and I've been worried for ages about how hot it will be there at this time of year. Well, it apparently will be about the same as it is here in southern Ontario...hotter than hell!! Last year we all squawked because we had too much rain and few really hot days but this year it looks like we'll have lots of heat and little rain. Wouldn't it be nice if our weather was perfect all the time? If all of this is the plan of a higher power then I think someone doesn't know what they're doing.

I had to go out today and make a few stops which required me to get out of my nice air conditioned car and traipse through blistering, sun drenched heat until I reached air conditioned buildings. I saw ladies in long cloaks and face shawls and wondered how they could stand it, but then their home countries are much hotter than this. This old lady was clad in shorts and a tank top and I think I saw the cloak clad ladies say a prayer to their god as I walked by. We'll know the Muslims have adapted to North America once we see their old ladies wearing shorts and tank tops. It might take a few generations.

Faye and I are picking Mary up at 6:30 A.M. tomorrow morning and we'll get a quick breakfast on the way. We're also taking a picnic lunch so we can eat at a rest stop next to the highway around noon. I love doing this but it's impossible if I'm travelling alone because I don't like to make it too apparent that I'm by myself. This isn't a safe world and the bad guys look for easy prey.

I think I'm organized and ready to go, just needing to pack last minute items. I've probably got too many clothes packed but that's okay, the more to choose from and the more to change into if I get to feeling sweaty and scruffy. I'm actually a pretty good packer ever since the days when my husband and I would vacation on his sailboat. There's no way you can take too much luggage on a sailboat!

It's still miserably hot for the early evening so I'll wait till the sun goes down and give my plants a last minute watering. Then I'll close up the house, go to bed early, and rise at 5 A.M. ready to set out on my next adventure. I'm expecting a fun filled trip!

No comments: