Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Latest Worry

Four years ago, I think, I asked a long time family friend if he would level the concrete on my front porch and paint it. He told me it was impossible to level the concrete because new concrete would not stick to the old. He convinced me that it was okay for him to level it with plywood (not even treated) and coat it all with a gritty paint. This took him 4 months and $800 to do. It looked great when he finished but I've been worried about it ever since.

Well, this year some fungus has popped out on two of the steps and my fears were confirmed. The plywood is rotting and now I have a huge problem on my hands. The long time family friend? Well, he's the one who took 8 months to do some work on my basement, left it almost in total disrepair, and who I haven't spoken to since then.

I really hate to start a big repair job on the porch because I'll be selling the house in a few years but then I realize no-one would buy a house with the front porch in this condition. I think I'm stuck. I've called my usual handyman who promised to come and look at it but hasn't done so. He's hard to pin down and I'm starting to realize I need a new handyman but they're not easy to find. I don't want to get one like "Dean".

I've decided not to worry about it. It will get fixed or replaced next year. You do what you have to do!

No comments: