Sunday, August 01, 2010

Summer is Winding Down

Always, on August 1, I feel how summer is winding down and the cold weather is just on the horizon. We're told that August will be a hot one but that doesn't matter because September is coming up fast.

Before spending my winters in Florida I really dreaded the advent of fall weather. I guess I was always looking ahead instead of living the moment. There is nothing nicer than spring and fall in Ontario with a hot summer in between. It's just those miserably cold and cloudy winters that I can't tolerate. Human beings were not meant to live in the freezing cold and I just don't understand Eskimoes.

I still have about 5 more winters in Florida to look forward to, if I'm lucky, and after that I'll just have to get used to Canadian winters once again. By then I'll be comfortably ensconced in a nice little apartment and won't have to worry about being snowed in, anyway.

August used to be unwelcome for me because I'd get irritating allergies which began that month but they seem to have faded away over the years. I enjoy August more now but, in the back of my mind, is still the thought that cold weather is hard on it's heels. It's like a death waiting to happen. But, hopefully, for the next five years it will be a death followed by the heaven of Florida for the winter.

I keep in contact with a lot of my Florida friends by e-mail over the summer so we just pick up where we left off when we arrive back in Florida in the fall. They're such a diverse and wonderful bunch of people. They come from many different states and provinces to our park in Florida and it's really nice how well we all get along. They're the reason that August doesn't hold sadness for me anymore. My winters are warm with sunshine and lots of company...at least for a while yet.

This August 1st, my plans are to clean out all unwanted paperwork from around the computer, meet my sister for lunch and an afternoon of shopping. In the evening I'll settle down with a good book or look for some interesting T.V. shows.

Life is good.

No comments: