Sunday, August 08, 2010

Wrong Number Etiquette

I got a very late phone call last night. I picked up the phone and said, "hello". A young girl asked me who I was!!!! I asked her who she was and she said she was Chloe's friend. I told her she had the wrong number. She got mad and again demanded to know who I was. I told her it was none of her friggin' business and hung up.

There have been many times when someone has called here and I've politely told them they have the wrong number. Most people apologize for disturbing you and that's okay but the occasional person will slam their phone down as though it's YOU who have disturbed THEM!

Then there are the sales people who love to phone at the dinner hour. You recognize them right away because they always first ask you how you're doing. I still ask them who is calling just in case it is a ligitimate call but as soon as they verify they're trying to sell me something, I hang up. I used to be polite and tell them I just wasn't interested before I hung up but I've come to understand that they are being rude by calling me in the first place.

I had one sales person who, when I asked who was calling, responded by asking me if I was Mrs. ???. I hung up.

I've just realized that the expression "hung up" doesn't apply anymore. In the old days the telephone receiver was on a hook and that's where the expression came from. Now we just press a button to answer or end a call. Somehow, saying that I was angry with an unwanted sales call and "pressed the button" doesn't sound right, does it?

No comments: