Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blowing Smoke Again?

There is much in the news about this recent change of decriminalizing brothels and it got me wondering why this occurred when we're heading into election time. Then I though, oh yes, it's something to take our dim little minds off the real issues. Give the minions something to get upset about and we'll forget about the state of the economy and misuse of public funds.

I don't have much faith in politicians. When I watched our local politicians totally screw up the Pan Am games by bickering like 3 year olds, unable and unwilling to handle the situation with logic and consideration for the citizens, I wondered once again why we can't seem to elect decent leaders.

I'm voting this year for the first time in ages because I know my city needs change before it deteriorates altogether. The present council, bar a few, are a bunch of idiots who were elected by mistake. Sometimes it's just because they happened to be the best of a bad lot and that's a hell of a way to run a city.

McGuinty has proven over and over that he is a twit so why is he still Ontario's premier? There have been so many scandals over misuse or downright theft of public funds that it should embarrass the man.

In my city, you can't drive anywhere without wondering why so many roads need repaving and why a city with crumbling roads really needs a monstrous new sports stadium. Politicians have ignored the infrastructure in favor of making headlines with grandiose schemes that they hope make them look like movers and shakers. Keep the public excited or incensed about the prospect of a multi million dollar stadium and they'll forget the potholes, right?

Some politicians become thieves just because they so easily can. There is so much accessible money that their greed overcomes them, thinking no-one will miss it. Then one day their greed and poor leadership crosses an invisible line and they are in the spotlight, disdained by the same people who once supported them.

I'm going to vote for a new mayor and then watch him closely to see if and when he crosses that line. I really wish I had more confidence in him but it doesn't pay to trust any politician completely.

No comments: