Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Check Expiration Dates

I seldom take drugs of any kind. If I have a headache, I let it go away on it's own. If I have stomach ache, I stop eating. Because of this I apparently had a pile of outdated analgesics in the medicine cabinet when I went looking for something to ease my cold.

Before I thought to check the expiration date, I took a dose of a vitamin C drink guaranteed to kill my cold and make me sleep. I was so sick that day that checking the expiration date of the package never entered my mind. Turned out it was 2001. The darned drink could have killed me!

I've had a constant headache with the cold probably from swollen sinuses but tried to ignore it because it wasn't severe, just irritating. I ended up taking a couple of Tylenol but, after swallowing them, checked the expiration date on the bottle. 2003! Then I pulled all the analgesics out of the cupboard and checked them all. Most were far outdated and it's a wonder more people don't die from this kind of thing.

When I was through disposing of various little bottles of Tylenol, Advil, etc., there were just 2 bottles left that don't expire until 2013. I have no idea why I have all this stuff, anyway, since I seldom use them. I think what happens is that every so often I feel the need to medicate myself and buy a new bottle, not knowing what I have at home.

It gives me the creeps thinking of drinking the mixture that expired in 2001. Yuk!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm sure it would never kill you silly, it just would have no medicinal affect :)

patsyrose said...

Ingredients change their molecular structure over time so you never know.