Sunday, October 03, 2010

Life After 70

There's nothing like the funeral of one of your peers to set you thinking about your own lifespan. There's no fair system where your number comes up after a period of time or lifestyle. It's more like someone randomly draws your name out of a hat and down you go.

I honestly feel I've had more than my fair share of years on earth so anything more is a bonus. It's more time to spend with my loved ones and I feel very fortunate to be here. I often think that if something bad were to happen to them that I'd give myself in their place without a second thought.

When I think of life after death, I think of the time right after my husband's death when I saw what I've assumed was his soul leaving his body. That unexpected moment reinforced my belief that our bodies are only resting places for our souls and that the body's death doesn't mean finality. We're all afraid of the unknown and I believe that's the only fear we have of death as we age but it helps if we truly believe that we'll go on somewhere else. I do.

I don't remember if I wrote this before but I've set my death at age 89. Of course, if I reach that age and still want to hang around for a while then I just might adjust it. Wouldn't it be nice if we really had such a choice?

No comments: