Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's Damn Cold!


Seniors leave Canada in droves in October to escape the cold and snow so we're not the tiniest bit happy that the cold has dripped all through the northern states to the southern states and we're cold!

I covered all my plants on Sunday just before the frigid winds began to blow into Florida. Yesterday I discovered that the vicious, cold winds had blown some of the sheets off the plants, overturned a chair to squish a plant, and knocked my clay mask onto the ground where it shattered. Can it be that there will be no refuge in North America from the cold in the future?

This is only December and no-one can remember it being so cold here in mid Florida this month, certainly not below freezing the way it has been. True, the daytime temps are still pleasant but not for lolling at the pool. Usually we sit around and giggle about the snow our family and friends are getting back home but these days we're worried that we'll wake up to snow ourselves.

I'm going to have to keep my remaining plants covered until Wednesday or Thursday because freezing nights are still in the forecast until then. It makes one wonder what January and February will bring to us poor snowbirds.

A friend called me last night and warned me to keep one of the taps dripping all night just in case the pipes froze. It's never occurred to me that I'd have to worry about that in Florida.

All I ever hoped for in my golden years was the warmth and sunshine of Florida in the wintertime. Now I'm wearing socks to keep my feet warm!

No comments: