Monday, January 17, 2011

Music Night

On Monday nights from 7-9 P.M. a small group of amateur (sometimes professional) musicians jam in our old clubhouse to entertain anyone who cares to listen. I haven't been over there in 7 years (can't believe it's been that long) to listen because that's when Dennis was part of the jam session.

Tonight I decided to go and I'm so glad I did. There were 6 guitarists, 1 bass, and 1 harmonica...2 of the guitarists/singers were from another park and I think they were professional. The clubhouse was packed with an appreciative audience who didn't care about the odd sour note but wildly applauded the efforts of this loose group.

Joe, on bass, was the only one of the group that Dennis played with all those years ago. I remembered how much they all enjoyed each other then and it was obvious that this new goup felt the same way about each other.

One of my coffee ladies, Carole, played guitar but she also sang with quite a pretty voice. The outsiders were a husband and wife team who harmonized so well that it brought tears to your eyes. Most of the songs were old country but a few were sing alongs from the 30's and 40's. It got me wondering if that era was the end of sing along music.

I sat there among my park friends and thought how lucky I'd been to have come to this park. I thought of how much Dennis loved it here and how much he enjoyed music night. I could almost picture him sitting among that group playing his guitar...he would have been if he could have been.

They ended the session with "Amazing Grace" and everyone clapped for the performers. They'd provided us with a pleasant evening, one that I might have wasted watching garbage on T.V.

I came home, steps away, through the dark and the fog and feeling a little nostalgic. Those memories of Dennis up at the front with his beloved guitar was just a tad too much for me to take.

The music was nice, though.

1 comment:

Kim said...

The last time we were down there we sat and listened to Dad and the rest sing Christmas songs and other songs. He loved it so much!!! I remember his grin from ear to ear all the time he was playing. Wonderful memories, still hurts though.