Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tornado Warning

I apparently slept through a wild rainstorm early in the morning but it was barely raining when I walked over to the clubhouse for our Swedish weaving class at 9 A.M. During the class, one of our residents came in to warn us that severe storms with tornadoes were heading our way. It still looked fairly clear so we finished our class and went home about noon. I was considering what I'd have for lunch when the rain began to fall more heavily so I turned on the weather channel to see how our tornado watches were coming along. Darned if we didn't have tornado warnings for our whole county and the severe rainstorms were in abundance right across central Florida. Tampa was being hard hit and I worried a bit about Shelley but she's in a nice big brick house so she'd most likely be okay. At first I thought I'd just stay in my trailer but tornado warnings were rampant in this area so I decided to leave my little tin can and go over to the cement block library and poolroom. Feeling a little foolish for going over there, I walked through the door and saw quite a few of my neighbors who'd had no compunctions about playing it safe. We all sat in the library which has windows along one side and watched the weather report on T.V. The pool room is right next door and much safer to be because it has only one tiny window but we felt safe where we were unless the winds picked up. They never did but the rain poured down heavily. Once the tornado warnings left our area we all went home. I've never before felt unsafe enough to hide in a concrete block building but maybe I'm getting smarter in my old age. It doesn't hurt to take precautions. The rain is still drowning us but there is no wind at all so I still plan to join friends at the clubhouse tonight to play cards.

No comments: