Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Feeling at Home

It's kind of amazing how resilient human nature is. I remember one time many years ago that I was in the hospital for something minor and I realized that I was acting like an invalid, subconsciously mimicking the shuffle of true invalids who had just endured major surgery. It had something to do with being in my pyjamas and laying in bed during the day, I think. You know the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", well I was living among invalids and had started to think and move)like one. Back to what I was intending to write about...Just days ago I was living in Florida in a tiny trailer and feeling completely at home. Now I'm back in Canada living in my house and feeling completely at home. There was really no transition period. Each world is entirely different in the way I live there. In Florida it is non stop socializing with very little time alone but here in Canada I live a quieter life. I like both. Of course it has yet to really quiet down here. Shelley and I have been out to dinner a couple of times...tonight with Anna and Lisa...and then Kim, Nolan, Shelley and I going out to Paris to have lunch with Mary on Thursday. Friday it will be dinner out with most of the family. Shelley had said she was going to cook a proper meal for me every night but restaurant meals are awfully tempting. It's been awfully nice having Shelley here for a while. She's had to study a lot through the day but that has given me the time to clean house and do my Swedish weaving. I keep looking at my yard and thinking how soon it will be when the perennials start to come to life. I transplanted 3 Rose of Sharon bushes last fall and hope that at least one of them survived the winter. And soon after that it will be time to fill the planters with colorful annuals. Life is full and life is good. Just open your heart to it.

No comments: