Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bad to Good Swedish Weaving Afghan


Only someone who does Swedish weaving will understand what I mean when I say the yarn colors were not grabbing me. The afghan I'm speaking about was white fabric with light pink, light blue, medium blue and dark blue yarn. Those colors should look fine together but the dark blue was just too dark and I couldn't find a slightly lighter shade that blended well with the medium blue. The big problem was that I'd finished the center and most of the lattice (fills in between the actual patternparts of center and ends). I didn't want to remove all of that work.


So I took out the dark blue altogether and rearranged the other 3 colors in the center pattern. I had done a large lattice with the medium blue but that's something I don't like anymore so I entwined the light blue to make it a smaller lattice and darned if it doesn't look pretty good! I had almost decided to finish this afghan off quickly with as little work as possible and maybe sell it on Ebay instead of giving it to a loved one but now it really looks good enough for a gift.


My last afghan was made with blues for Aeron and this one was supposed to be for Nicole until I screwed it up. I'm getting tired of doing blues and would really like to get on to some other colors but I learned some new techniques this winter and this particular afghan isn't what I now want for her.


Anyway, I've never seen an ugly Swedish weaving afghan or table runner and this project proves that any project can be saved if it falls short of expectations. This afghan is pretty but my standards have risen after learning some new tricks from our Thursday morning group at the park. I'll just sell this afghan and restart one for Nicole using the new ideas. I love learning from other Swedish weavers because it keeps the craft new and exciting.


No comments: