Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Making My Own Patterns

Have I said before how much I love having a computer...and a printer/copier? For a while now I've wished I could download a graph showing monk's cloth so I could make my own Swedish weaving patterns but didn't know where to start. Then I recalled seeing a graph like that on the back of one of the pattern books so here I sit, happy as pig in poo, with a whole stash of graphs just waiting for inspiration to hit me.

What would be even better would be to have a program where the graph appeared on the screen and I could design or delete with just a touch of the cursor. I'm sure that feature could be found somewhere but maybe even just a plain boxed graph would do and I could use a little imagination. I don't know about that but my graphed paper will have to do for now.

I'm an artist at heart, maybe not a fabulously functioning one but I'd like to be. That's why Swedish weaving has captured my interest. The patterns are cut and dried to follow and you really can't make a mistake if you follow them carefully. You choose your own colors and that is your first contribution to what will turn out to be a beautiful piece of original art. And you are the artist!

No comments: