Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Tail Of The Tornadoes

I woke up this morning to the sound of gale force winds whipping around my house. This often happens in this area after tornadoes have ripped through the States...it's like we get the edge of the storm.

The winds are so strong that they're making the large trees in the yard dance like drunken sailors, thrashing around like no tomorow. One good thing about winds like this is that they break the deadwood off the trees and that means less pruning for me to do. The grass is littered with it.

I haven't done any work in the yard yet because it's been too cold and rainy so I was surprised to see the large patio table unlashed from the deck rail. Every fall I put the patio table on it's side and lash it to the rail to keep the glass top safe from falling hail or branches. Right now the wind has broken the ties from one side and the table has rolled away from the rail. Strong damn winds to do that! This is in sort of a protected area, too.

On the bright side, it's nice at this time of the year to see the leaf buds coming forth and the forsythia is a golden spot of color out there. Of course, the grass is green and the daffodils are out in full force. I can't wait to start filling planters with colorful annuals and deciding if I can fit just one or two more perennials somewhere. There is also a beautiful "June" hosta in my front garden that needs moving or at least separated. I haven't the strength to dig it out so maybe one of my boys will do it for me. The hosta is gorgeous but has grown too large for it's spot.

I don't know if I mentioned in a blog that I've changed my 5 year plan. I had planned to sell the house in 5 years but after viewing some pricey apartments online, I think I'd better just stay put. The apartments are small and sort of dingy so it makes more sense to stay where I am as long as I can manage the stairs (1 1/2 storey house). There aren't better neighbors anywhere so it's best that I stay as long as possible. Who knows, I might not even make 5 years but I have to think positively.

Today is one of those do nothing days that I love so much. I will play on the computer, do a little Swedish weaving, and maybe glue glass beads on a vase. Like my little Aeron said when she was about 2 years old, "I don't have to do anything I don't want to do".

No comments: