Monday, May 09, 2011

At The Hospital

Kim has been anemic for quite a few years so her doctors sent her for tests at Mac this morning. She was going to be sedated for them so I drove her and waited FOR HOURS in the waiting room. I was well prepared, though. I took my Swedish weaving afghan to work on, a book to read, and 2 bottles of water.

While I was waiting, a young man sat next to me with his arm in some sort of cast. He told me that he'd been working snow plowing this past winter when he had to get under it to fix something and it had fallen on his arm. He was very lucky he hadn't lost it but a good surgeon had put it all together, save a few nerves, and that's what he was back at the hospital for today. It just amazes me that the ability to reconnect severed nerves only takes day surgery.

I don't think of doctors or surgeons as gods but I do admire and respect their fantastic abilities to fix us mortals when we're damaged or sick. I also don't begrudge them a fantastic salary to go with those fantastic abilities because most of them deserve every cent they make.

Kim sailed through her procedures and was hungry enough to want lunch so we went to Swiss Chalet. She hadn't eaten in about 24 hours but her throat was a little sore from the endoscopy so she only ate half her meal. No bother...I'm just glad that she passed the tests.

I was tired when I got home so I wasted the beautiful afternoon by having a long nap. It's possible that this means I'll have trouble sleeping tonight, darn it. I had to take a Tylenol PM last night to make sure I'd sleep and I think it might have still been in my system today. I slept like a log last night and woke to the alarm this morning feeling like I wanted a couple more hours before getting up. I only take Tylenol PM once in a while such as when I've had 3 or 4 sleepless nights or the night before I know I have to be alert the next day. It works well for me but probably wouldn't if I took it on a regular basis.

Oh well, if this is the worst thing I have to deal with today, then I have no right to complain, do I?



No comments: