Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Time Well Spent

I wandered out in the backyard early this morning expecting to need a jacket but was able to work all morning without one. Spring has sprung! I pulled the small tables and chairs out of the tool shed and gave them all a bath before putting them in place on the deck and patio. Once they were dry I covered the chairs with the clear plastic covers I'd just bought at the dollar store...I hope they hold up at least for the summer. This is a steel town and the air is dirty and this makes the chairs dirty overnight so I thought the covers would make sense.

I also planted the geraniums and violets I'd bought the other day, then dug up some of the ground cover from the back of the yard to decorate the rail planters. I'll add impatiens to these planters later on in the month. My choice of color for deck impatiens this year is white and deep pink...I spent way too much time last year searching for purple or lilac impatiens. I'm also going to try to scale down the number of planters I use this year because the cost of annuals is getting awfully high.

Just doing that bit of work in the yard makes it look so homey. I'm really liking not having to cut that darned lawn so now all my work outside will be with the plants and tidying up occasionally. Nice.

Donna came over for our Swedish weaving afternoon. She's working on her second afghan and this one is a lilac fabric with variegated lilac yarn. It's beautiful! She's so much more at ease doing the weaving now because she knows what she's doing and it shows. She moves from one set of patterns to another with ease. I'm so glad she's taken an interest in it and it's also a nice afternoon to spend with her, too. Faye usually comes but today she's off on a romantic picnic with Gary. Hmmm! Hard to believe she'd rather do that than sit here and yak with me and Donna. LOL!

No comments: