Sunday, June 05, 2011

Backing Up

I'm used to idiots who will drive past a car that's backing up towards them because they figure their car will protect them from injury but why, why, why do people casually walk past a backing up car? Yesterday I was in the grocery store parking lot and trying to back out and leave but it took forever because I had to back up by inches. People continued to stroll past me with no thought to the fact that a car driver can't have eyes everywhere.

A few years ago, a lady and her 13 year old daughter did just that in a store parking lot and a car backed over the girl and killed her. It angered me that even parents with babies in strollers were walking past my car as I was backing up. What are they thinking? My instincts when seeing a car trying to back out of a parking spot was to draw near to the side and pull my child against me so that there was no chance we'd be hit but these idiots deliberately put their children in danger. Remember it was a nervous old lady trying to back up and there's always a possibility of a driver accidently stepping on the gas instead of the brake when they are nervous.

I see this all the time but yesterday was my worst experience because it took me forever to pull clear of passing pedestrians. I try to find a spot where I can drive through to the facing parking spot so that I can just go forward when I'm leaving but that's not always available.

No matter how slowly I backed up, if an idiot walked behind my car and was hit, I'd be the one charged. Of course, the idiot could be killed...legally in the right but still dead.

No comments: