Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Is This Really Normal?

I know my granddaughter is going to be fuming if she reads this blog but here it is anyway.

A friend of my daughter was at the Atlanta airport and this is what she saw...a 65 year old balding man dressed in a flowered shirt, denim mini skirt, lace anklets with men's shoes, and wearing a rhinestone barrette in what was left of his hair.

I know it's politically incorrect to find fault with this man but how can any one of us say this is normal? No matter how much we want to fool ourselves, this is aberrant behaviour and we shouldn't have to appease anyone by calling it anything other than that. The man deserves our pity and, yes, our acceptance of his choice of dress but don't let anyone try to tell me that he's got all his faculties.

Now, if a 65 year old lady had been seen in that outfit, she would have drawn just as much attention. Some things are just not normal no matter how much we might want to pretend they are.

No comments: