Friday, June 10, 2011

Re-organizing Nolan's Play Area







My driveway once ran all the way to the back wall of the house but quite a few years ago I got the idea to run a fence across the driveway from the front wall of the house. This gave me a nice area of the yard that was asphalted.

When my grandchildren were little I often put their pool there in the summer but that proved to be a little too hot for their bare feet when the sun shone on it. Then it became my potting area until the old patio table I used there was so rotten I had to dispose of it. It still held it's usefulness because at least my garbage cans couldn't be seen from the street. I also piled some cement blocks along one side in case I ever had a use for them. For the life of me, I can't remember where the heck I got all those cement blocks or what possible use I thought they might be but they're there and they're staying.

Nolan's play toys have been taking up space on the back patio against the deck but that meant there was no good place for me to store the not-in-use patio chairs. Not having a garage means a lot of stuff just gets left out in the elements.

So this morning I went out into that little fenced asphalt area and considered moving the cement blocks up against one end...until I saw all the wood bugs run out from between the cracks. I wasn't about to touch the darned things then. So I stood back and reconsidered my options.

First I pulled the garbage can and the garbage green cart away from the front of the area and dragged the table (a huge folding one that mysteriously appeared in my yard over the winter and I have no idea where it came from) and set it crossways in the driveway against the little fence. That left room in the corner for the broom and dustpan. I put all the possibly usable old flower pots under the table and the garbage can and green cart went against the far corner of the table.

I dragged flower pots from an inconvenient spot to settle nicely in front of a healthy Rose of Sharon that grows against the side fence. Then I repositioned the dock box inbetween the flowers and the cement blocks and put Nolan's toys inside. More potted plants had to be repositioned to allow Nolan's workbench to nestle safely under the lilac bush which I'd trimmed back at the bottom. It ended up looking pretty good and left lots of room for Nolan to ride his bike around on the asphalt which is safely protected by the fence I had long ago foreseen as a darned good idea.

I love it when I get to change things around and it turns out well.

No comments: