Saturday, July 30, 2011

His Daddy's Boy

Kim called me this morning to come over and visit because Nolan was at her house. Faye had given me a lovely rocking chair for Nolan and Nash so I piled it into the car and drove over. As I got out of the car at Kim's, I saw a tiny little boy come racing to meet me and it took a moment for me to realize it was Nolan. It is amazingly wonderful how fast they grow and become steadier on their feet when they're that age. I guess I haven't seen him for a couple of weeks and he's full of new words, too.

Kim and I watched him play, relishing the memories he brought back to both of us. 25 years drifted in and out as I looked at that sweet little boy, so much like his father. 25 years seem to have passed like hours but then sometimes like centuries when you think of all the living that was packed into that time.

True, there has been a lot of sorrow mixed in with the good times but I wouldn't change any of it if it meant I'd lose any of the people I love today. Just watching the little life that is Nolan makes me know it was all worth while.

When I left Kim's, I took the rocker over to Natasha and got to see baby Nash. It just melts my heart when I see that calm little guy. There's something about that baby that makes me feel he'll teach me something important one day.

On the way home I stopped at Shopper's Drug Mart to buy another brace for my knee, hopefully one that is more comfortable than the one I already have. I should be wearing a brace every time I go out to help this darned knee settle down but my old brace keeps coming loose. It's a pleasant surprise to find my knee hurting much less after just a short while wearing a brace so I'm going to make more of an effort to wear one. Oh yes, I got to use my new handicapped tag yesterday when I went grocery shopping and it was really nice to be able to park close to the store. This knee has made my life miserable for over a month and I'm getting sick of it. I don't feel old until I stand up and it hurts to walk!

It's too hot out today to want to be outside so I think I'll hang around here and resist doing any housework.

No comments: