Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jaws

I remember seeing the movie "Jaws" in 1975 when it came out and thinking it was one terrific movie. The terror of wondering when that darned big shark was going to pop out of the water or being warned of it's approach by what I think were intermittent strings of tuba blasts made me worry I'd toss my popcorn all over whoever was sitting in front of me. I'd never been to Florida when I saw that movie and it's left an indelible and often present thought in my mind that there are an awful lot of sharks in those waters. I went to Florida for the first time not long after seeing that movie and I was scared to death to go in the water past my ankles.

Reruns have been on T.V. many times over the years but I watched one today with a different eye. It was the incredible acting by Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss that held my attention. They were magnificent. I think it must have impressed me so much because I've been dismayed over some of the most terrible acting I keep seeing on T.V. movies these days. Some of it is so bad you just have to wonder why anyone would spend the money it costs to produce a movie without at least hiring a cast who could act.

I know I miss out on a lot of the entainment value of movies because I analyze too much but today, with "Jaws", it was just wonderful to watch Shaw and Dreyfuss perform. A few of the other actors were also good but not at the same level as those two. It makes you understand that good or great acting is a true art form.

I was able to lose myself in the fantasy of the story in 1975 and the shark looked all too real to me but, today, I only was impressed with the mechanics of it. Time changes us all in many mysterious ways.

No comments: