Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's Like a Frigid Winter

It may as well be a Canadian January outside because the weather is forcing me to stay indoors so darned much but, instead of using the furnace to keep the house warm, I'm using the air conditioning to keep it cool. This must be what it's like to live in Florida all summer!

Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to reach 37c which is about 105 or 106F. I have no memory in my lifetime of heat like this in my city so maybe there is something to global warming after all. The fact that our winters can still be so cold could also mean that our whole climate is out of whack. I don't know how people who have to work outside in weather like this can stand it but maybe it's quite tolerable for all the immigrants to our country. This is their kind of weather. India gets temperatures up in the 140's.

My garden doesn't look too bad but the grass looks awful. I water in the morning or evening every second day so I'm hoping that's enough to keep from losing my lawns altogether. I had to relocate some of the potted plants before I found the right spot for them to survive. Unfortunately, the weeds have me beat this year because it's just too hot to bother with much weeding so my plan for next year is to use lots of mulch rather than annuals in some of the worst hit areas. One of my back gardens gets plenty of shade but the soil is filled with fibrous roots probably from the lilac bush and the Impatiens I planted there is unable to send down their roots to get established. Consequently, the plants are withered and half dead. Next year, mulch!

It would be so nice to be able to open the patio door nearby and have a fresh, cool breeze waft in. Maybe next week when the temperatures are supposed to drop to normal!

No comments: