Sunday, July 10, 2011

Nolan is 2

Today is Nolan's second birthday and it's amazing how it doesn't seem possible he hasn't always been here with us. It's always that way with a child. They fill your heart and mind so completely that it's hard to remember a time when they didn't exist.

We're having a birthday party for him today and I wonder what he'll think of it. He's used to being fed and used to getting presents so it won't be all that special for him but the rest of us get to watch and glory in him for a few hours.

I'm still happy as pig in poo about my kitchen backsplash tile. A woman never stops being thrilled about having her nest improved even if it's only rearranging the furniture. I finally was able to reach the old handyman yesterday and he started out by saying he was up north and would call me this coming week (same story I've gotten for weeks on end). I stopped him and said I had a new handyman who was ready to start the porch job right away and wouldn't be needing him. Don is a very nice man and he has been very good to me but he's just too unavailable. When I need a job done I can't wait for months and I don't think that's unreasonable of me. Don was very nice to the end and I thanked him for his past work but said I had to find a handyman who wasn't as busy as he was. He understood and we parted friends.

Now this morning I'm wondering about another relationship...the one with my sister. Of course, I can't meet her for lunch even if I wanted to (and I don't) but I'm wondering if she'll call. I guess it's time to have that talk with her so, if she does call, I'll make arrangements to meet her next week at her house so we can talk privately. Everyone has a difficult relative that they love and want to keep but don't especially like their company for various reasons and we all deal with it differently. My tendency to back right away isn't the right thing to do here because I do love my sister and I do want her in my life but I don't want to deal with her temper eruptions. I just need to make her understand this without driving her away for good.

Well, enough of the nasties in life, today is Nolan's birthday and I can't wait to see him!

No comments: