Monday, July 18, 2011

Swedish Weaving Afghans








The top two pictures are of Nicole's afghan and the bottom one is the one I'm working on for Matt and Sandra. It is so pleasurable to complete one of these afghans because they take so long to finish and I always hope the work and love put into them are appreciated by the people who receive them.


The fabric is so hardy that they should last a very long time and the only problem one might have is that part of the yarn design might pull. That is easily fixed by straightening it out and there is no worry that the fabric strands will break. They can safely be machine washed and dried, too.


I try to have a completely different color palette when I begin a new afghan but the last 2 were both blue based. Matt and Sandra chose brown and aqua for their base colors so that will make it more interesting for me to work on. My next planned afghan is for Marilee and that will be mainly greens and I plan to work on it over the winter and give it to her in March when she comes to Florida. It's fun to plan ahead but I shouldn't get too far ahead.


We'll continue this heat wave over the next week so I can see dollar bills flying out the window with the air conditioner on 24 hours a day. This is very unusual weather for this time of the year and also because it's lasting so long. August should be a real scorcher.


I'm thinking of replacing the knobs and handles on my kitchen cabinets and might brave the heat to drive over to Home Depot today. I'll probably go with a plain stainless steel but first I'll check out what the kitchen display is featuring. I like the ones that are presently on the cabinets but the metal part is becoming a little pitted and marked from age so new ones will look nice. I just might stop in at Wendy's while I'm out, too.


I got a call from my doctor's office this morning with the appointment date for the plastic surgeon. It's kind of funny that this old gal will be visiting a plastic surgeon to take a piece out of her lip instead of getting something more interesting like a face lift. I long ago realized that a face lift would do me no good unless I had a whole body lift so I'm sticking with what I have. This appointment is only to have to surgeon look at my lip, give me a prognosis, and then set up an appointment for the actual excision. I'm hoping ever so much that he'll tell me the scar will be tiny and that I can leave for Florida maybe 2 weeks after it's done. That's my hope and it will hold unless I'm told differently.






2 comments:

Kim said...

Nicole's afghan is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I sure hopes she appreciates the treasure that it is. xoxo

patsyrose said...

I'm seriously thinking of entering it at one of the fall fairs. I have seen a few Swedish weaving runners at fairs but never a whole afghan. Maybe I'll win a ribbon because it will be the only one entered!