Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hot

I've spent more time indoors these last few weeks than I have outside because we're experiencing a heat wave. The air conditioning has been on most of that time and, as of the last couple of hours, hasn't turned it's little self off once. I almost turned the setting up a bit because I can just imagine the money this is going to cost me but then I thought, why? I want to be comfortable and that's all there is to it.

The lawn doesn't look very good, either. Too much hot weather with little or no rain isn't good for the grass or the plants. The deeply rooted perennials are doing okay but the poor little annuals are wilting and I'm not going out to water them until later this evening when it's a bit cooler.

I worry more about being out in the full sun now that I've had skin cancer. It isn't the welcoming warmth it used to be. I just realized that it also means that my beach frequenting days are behind me. Anybody want to buy 3 beach umbrellas that are lying under the Florida room futon down at the trailer? LOL!

I have to start putting the Aldara on my lip skin cancer next week and I just dread it because I know it's going to hurt like hell. It's a 10 week treatment of what I'm expecting to be torture. Then I have to go to a cosmetic surgeon to have whatever remains cut out. This is going to hold me up from leaving for Florida when I planned but it has to be done. This is a warning to everyone to use sun screen. I kind of think the lip skin cancer came about because I'd stopped using lipstick, too. Now maybe I'm wrong about how lipstick protects the lips but it certainly seems possible.

My sister, Sharon, didn't call today so I guess she doesn't feel she owes me an apology. If she was a friend instead of a sister I'd just let it lie and feel bad about the end of the friendship but the fact that she's my sister makes me think twice. I know in my heart that even if we make up I'll wonder how many times we'll go through this sort of thing before I give up for good. There's no way in hell that I'll allow anyone to treat me badly again and I'm afraid I have to accept that I can't count on ever being exempt from Sharon's temper. This leaves me wondering if it's best to just keep my distance now.

On the plus side. I finished Nicole's afghan today and have gotten a good start on Matt and Sandra's. I'll post pictures of both once I have Nicole's hemmed and fringed. The powder blue embroidery is perfect for it and I'm so glad I removed the awful pink that I had started to put on.

Oh yes, Cindy and I drove to St. Catharines to visit Aeron last night and had a nice dinner at Swiss Chalet with Aeron and her boyfriend, Cam. Aeron's apartment is cute as can be and in a really nice area. A lot of university students live around there but it's very well kept up.

Before we got to St. Catharines, Cindy drove to an area off Bartlett Rd. in Grimsby to show me the sweetest neighborhood. It's full of what must have been 100 year old summer cottages now transformed into permanent and colorful houses. I'm assuming they're permanent homes because they must be quite valuable now. The imaginative owners have painted many of them in outrageous but happy colors which show off their old world architecture. These aren't "hippy" houses because they're very well taken care of with fresh paint and healthy and lush plantings. One house had a massive clematis that reached up and over the 2nd floor porch. I want to take Mary and Faye to see it when they get back home from their holiday.

I did a bit of reading today from one of my yard sale books. It's Stephen King's "Cell" and not too entertaining. I remember when I'd get into a really interesting book that I hated to put down but I skim through books like this. I just might have to start going to the library to get a book worth reading.




No comments: