Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I Keep Hurting Myself

Why is it that when you have a sore that's what you keep hitting? I whack my poor sore lip in my sleep and I whack it when I'm awake, too. I remember breaking my toe a few years ago and the next day whacking it on a chair. Am I a closet masochist?

People aren't meant to suffer pain and we certainly don't fully appreciate the days when we stroll through a day with nothing hurting us. We accept that's the way it should be so, when we reach a ripe old age and body parts start protesting, we become annoyed. We blame the body parts for letting us down now that we once again have the freedom to run the roads and play.

Since my knee has been acting up, I notice younger people with springier steps and feel a wistful envy that I might never attain that again. The knee pain does come and go so I do have some hope of better days ahead, though.

The people I hang out with tend to laugh about our respective aches and pains, especially when we're doggedly pulling ourselves out of a car. It helps to laugh about it because, if we're laughing, it can't be all that bad. It sure beats moaning and groaning about it because then we wouldn't rouse ourselves to continue having fun, would we? There is a big difference between the minor aches that most seniors endure and real pain. For most of us it's just an occasional discomfort that doesn't stop us from enjoying our "twilight" years. We may enjoy them a little slower but, what the heck, at least we're doing it.

I like to inform my younger friends that old age isn't something to fear. It's more something to value because that's when you have the time to mold it your own way. No-one knows how much time they have on this earth but we can pretty well count on today and that makes it very important to make today a good one.

Despite my aches and pains, I enjoy my life. I love my family to bits and I enjoy the company of some darned good friends so my life is pretty full. Now, if I could only stop whacking myself on my sore lip!

No comments: