Saturday, October 15, 2011

Goals

For the duration of my radiation treatments, my goal was to finish the 20th and final one. Immediately after reaching that goal, my new goal was to complete the 2 weeks before the healing would begin. I'm doing that now (12 days to go) and already planning on setting another new goal which will be an additional 4 weeks before the sore is completely healed.

It's good to have goals and it's also possible to have many at the same time. I often wish I could go back in time and have the sense to make university my goal. I've told all of my babies that my biggest regret in life is not getting a better education. All other regrets fade in comparison because, with a good education, life is infinitely better in every way.

I've seen a lot of wasted brainpower in my life. The best example was my husband, an absolutely brilliant man who was pushed into dropping out of school when he was only 16 years old. He did have a dream and that was to be an engineer. By not being able to pursue that goal, it changed his whole life.

Goals make us stretch our limits. Once achieved, we'll stagnate if we don't set another goal in order to grow in spirit and in knowledge. I watch a lot of talk shows on T.V. and see people who have no goals other than to get as much government aid as they can and then just make it to the end of their lives. It's such a waste of the time you're allotted.

I have a small, side goal today. I'm going to start a Swedish afghan in brilliant, happy colors to donate to a hospice in the city. It doesn't require much effort on my part but it's an honorable goal, anyway. I brought up all the wild colors of yarn that I have and also a piece of deep turquoise fabric so this one will be lots of fun to work on.

I can't imagine waking up in the morning without a few things already in place to work on. Starting a day without any goals at all would be so boring! Getting housework done isn't a fun goal but just something that needs doing so it's usually last on my list. I prefer to work towards goals where I have fun in the process.

No comments: