Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cell Phones & Driving

I'm a long time hater of using the telephone so there was no way I'd become tied to a cell phone. I did recently buy one but that was because of problems with my car and I might need a phone to call for help if it broke down.

It used to be that, if you saw a car weaving from the center line to the shoulder of the road, you could honestly assume the driver was drunk but not these days. At least I hope not because I see a lot of this kind of erratic driving every single time I'm on the road. No, the culprit now is the dreaded cell phone. People just don't seem to realize or care that they can't concentrate on their driving while carrying on a conversation on their phone. I even notice that my concentration isn't as good if I'm talking to a passenger.

The other day I was driving down the highway behind a car that continually rolled onto the shoulder before over-correcting and then driving over the center line. I don't pass these drivers without taking caution to make sure they aren't hitting that center line the same time as I pass them so I had enough time to notice a baby car seat in their car. Was there actually a baby in there while it's mother thought more of her telephone call than the safety of her child? It was a young woman driver so it well could have been.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones are self-centered individuals who really have no concern for the dangers they put other drivers in. It's been a proven fact that talking on cell phones while driving has caused many accidents that resulted in death of the driver or innocent people. So why do people continue this dangerous habit? Inconsideration is the only answer.

I've seen women curling their hair while driving. I've seen men reading a map while driving. I know of a person who will remain unnamed who put in her contacts while driving. People have told me they saw men using their computer while driving. What is wrong with these people?

I just hope some of them will see the light and mend their ways. If they do, the roads will be safer for all of us.

No comments: