Sunday, December 11, 2011

Growing

It used to be that we only had a few friends at our card table before the new year but this year we've filled it almost to beyond capacity. I really do love this because it shows over and over how well we all get along and enjoy each other's company. I am a little sad that in the new year more of our friends will arrive and that will mean we will have to use separate tables for our games. I hate to lose any of my buddies even to a table right next to mine because I have so much fun with them. When you hear laughter coming from another card table, you feel as though you're missing out on some of the fun.

Spending my winters in Florida has completely changed my life for the better. It isn't just escaping the cold Canadian winter climate but it's given me the opportunity to meet so many nice people. Most of the people come to this park for the same reasons. They just aren't ready to hibernate in the cold and want to take advantage of living in a close community with neighbors who are in similar circumstances. There are a lot of activities available to us that usually aren't at home and we don't have to shovel snow to get to them. No-one here, even singles, have to sit at home alone every day and night because there is group activity every night and most days. You only have to choose which one to participate in.

Growing up I always had close female friends and just took for granted that this would continue forever but my adult years were different. My husband frowned on me having any relationships outside the family so I sort of drifted away from friends of my own. In my senior years I began to balk at being isolated and became good friends with Faye and Mary who are like sisters to me today. Then, coming to this park for the winter where friendships thrive like Florida sunshine, I made many new friendships that I treasure. I honestly don't think I've ever laughed as much in my life as I have since coming here. We're a happy bunch of people, living a darned good life in our golden years.

I do miss my family back home but Shelley lives in Tampa now so I'll get to see her often during the winter. And when I head back home in April, it will be with a happy heart to see the people I love there. I know my winters in Florida are numbered because of age and funds so each one I have is a bonus. Looking ahead to the time when I can't come here anymore, I've already decided that I'll get deeply involved with the senior center. I'm going to enjoy every moment that I can while I can. I think that's a healthy attitude.

No comments: