Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Weeki Wachee

Shelley and I went to Walmart and, since I finished my shopping first, I sat on the bench by the checkout to wait for her. Before I sat down I noticed an elderly lady sitting there with a wild acting younger man sitting next to her but I sat down anyway. I knew he was on some sort of drugs because he couldn't keep his arms and legs still...they were in constant motion as he leaned close to the lady and told her the same story over and over and over again. I was a little worried for her so I paid close attention, occasionally thinking that maybe I should call for security.

It was apparent that the man was a stranger to her as he explained what a great time he'd had at a girlfriend's house the day before in Weeki Wachee. Unfortunately for him, she had a boyfriend that showed up, too. The guy would ask the old lady if she'd ever heard of Weeki Wachee and she replied no a few times but, after the third or fourth telling of his story, she started to reply that she had heard of it. She might have been senile or she might have been polite.

I'll bet he told her the same story 50 times while I sat there eavesdropping, all the while flailing his arms and legs uncontrollably. He also told her that he liked to come to Walmart so that he could help people. Oh, oh! Then I was worried that he might attach himself to her when she left the store but she had said that she was waiting for her husband so maybe her husband would be more wary of this character.

Shelley finally showed up and we left but I still felt there was something I should have done for that lady. Maybe I was just sticking my nose in where it wasn't wanted but I was worried for her safety. Anyway, I walked away and did nothing.

I told Shelley that she never had to worry about me in a situation like that because I'm naturally suspicious and careful of people I don't know. The elderly are often easy targets because most of us can be too trusting, enjoying the "kindness" of strangers without question. You can't do that in this world.

Anyway, little old lady from Walmart, I hope your husband showed up and sent that druggie packing.


No comments: