Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Good News, Sad News

Kim had her surgery on Monday and has recovered so well that she was able to come home today. The truth is that she's probably safer at home than in a hospital full of sometimes deadly germs so I'm quite happy that she is home. Nick and Matt are with her now and Cindy will be with her tonight so she couldn't be better cared for.

Now the sort of sad news. I watched a little old lady walking today and realized that years ago I wondered why old people often walk funny. Well, the sad truth is that most of us have aches and pains that hurt when we walk. When you see an elderly person taking time to exit a car it could be because they're afraid of twisting a knee (I do that). Some seniors have back or hip pain that worsens when they're walking. Some have sore feet.

Getting old isn't for sissies but, if you can tolerate the odd ache or pain without giving in to it, you can still have a wonderful quality of life.

My knee pain was making me miserable for most of the summer and fall but it has subsided to a tweek now and then, lurking in the background and just waiting for me to give it a twist so it can claw it's way to the surface. And that's why it takes me forever to crawl out of a car! That's also why I curse a lot trying to crawl out of Kim's sports car!

But today is a good one.

No comments: