Sunday, February 05, 2012

Canada Day at the Park

We had our Canada Day dinner and dance last night at the clubhouse and it was a rousing success. A group of French Canadian residents took on the job again this year to cook a terrific dinner, arrange for 26 door prizes, and also arrange the entertainment. I think it was the best dinner we've ever had for any of our special events.

Last year was the first time we've been allowed to include American residents at our dinner (I have no idea why they were ever excluded in the first place but the routine has always been to have the dinner only for Canadians and then allow the Americans to come over for the entertainment). This stupid rule also held for the U.S. Day dinner and I could never understand it. Our new owners made the wise decision that no resident should be excluded from dinners like this so now we have a full clubhouse for them, just the way it should be. Everyone is friends here and no-one cares whether their friend is Canadian or American.

I wasn't feeling very well last night, having a bit of trouble with my breathing. It felt like a touch of asthma so I didn't stay long at the dance but came home and turned on the air conditioning which helped immediately. The clubhouse is air conditioned but it was still terribly warm in there due to the large crowd. I've had some allergic reaction to the pine pollen, sneezing violently now and then, so maybe that's what my problem was last night. Anyway, it seemed to clear up as soon as I got into my air conditioned trailer.

One of the ladies last night wore a t-shirt with the American and Canadian flag entwined. I've seen this before and wanted to get one for myself but it sort of slipped my mind. Now I'm going to check on Ebay to find one. It so very much signifies how we live in this park, especially.

Well, we've reached February and my winter here is starting to fade away. I'll be going home in just a couple of months but, once again, I've enjoyed my time, my friends, and the lifestyle here immensely. It's something I don't take for granted but feel grateful for every day I'm here and hope to return for a few years yet. This could well be the happiest time of my life and I do savor every day I'm allowed.

No comments: