Sunday, February 19, 2012

Selling on Ebay

This has been a lean year for me selling on Ebay. The economy is so bad in the States that few people have extra money sitting around to impulse buy on the net. That means I have less money from Ebay sales to pay my utilities and that is a first for me.

Of course, I'm not yard saleing like I used to, either, so my stock isn't refreshed like it used to be. I know I've sort of lost interest in Ebay myself so it isn't a surprise that others feel the way I do. It's the shipping costs and not the listed price that is the killer even here in the States but it's much worse in Canada. The postal service is causing it's own demise by paying it's employees far more than their labor deserves. I don't blame the employees at all for getting as much as they can but the unions have instilled unreasonable demands for exhorbitant salaries for unskilled labor.

These are frightening times for the unskilled labor force because, without unions to fight for them, they could only qualify for minimum wage jobs and no-one can support a family with that kind of money. With the U.S. discontinuing Saturday service (we haven't had it in Canada in years), many more high paid union jobs will be lost and where else can these people expect to make the salaries they have been making?

Unions have always served a good purpose by gaining fair wages and benefits for employees but somewhere along the line they've gone from "fair" to "ridiculous". CEO's (not in a union) have also gone crazy with their benefits and bonuses having no resemblance to how well or badly the company has done. We look on all of this as insanity but are unable to do a darned thing about it. We, the people, are not in control of the public purse.

Oh well, everything will work out one way or another. Some people will suffer and some will be promoted even though all is undeserved. It's the way of the corporate world.

No comments: