Monday, February 20, 2012

Welcome Sunshine

Sunshine is a 9 week old yellow Lab who has come to live with Shelley, John, and Jake (and be a sister-at-home for Lisette and Nicole). I've already shortened her name to "Sunny" and I know she's going to bring lots of smiles and sunshine to her new family.

With Buddy passing last week, Sunny will help ease the family's sorrow at losing him but no-one can take Buddy's place. He was a unique little being that we all loved and there will never be another dog like him. Sunny will be her own self and we'll love her for that.

Sometimes I ache for the comfort of having a dog at home. It's hard to explain to people who have never had a dog how much we become attached to them and their presence. A good dog can add years to your life and happiness to your moments.

I wonder if Shelley remembers that we once had a canary we named Sunshine? He was a bright and beautiful yellow canary who filled our days with his singing and who kept trying to make out with his image in the mirror in his cage. Cute.

Faye and I are going over to stay a few days with Shelley to spruce up her garden with some colorful annuals. She has a gorgeous backyard already but it's with lush perennials and she needs the annuals to complete it all. I'm looking forward to seeing it come alive with impatiens, begonias, marigolds, geraniums, and whatever else we find that will thrive through the hot summer in Tampa. The impatiens will be planted in the shade for sure.

Kim asked me to give Sunny a kiss for her but I think it's sort of disgusting to let a dog lick your lips. Instead, I'll cuddle every moment I can with this sweet little girl.

No comments: