Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lifechanging Moments

We all try to sail smoothly through life, hoping for only the best lifechanging moments...like love, fun, and good times. We don't and shouldn't plan for tragedy but it can come in an instant when we least expect it.

Yesterday I was stopped at a highway stoplight about 3 cars back and happened to look into my rear view mirror. I noticed that a tractor trailer was approaching at full speed in the lane next to me and didn't appear to be slowing down. To my horror, I realized that it really wasn't slowing at all and there was a car stopped at the light in front of it.

Unless the driver of that single car was also looking into their rear view mirror, they would have no idea that their life was close to ending at that moment. Suddenly, the truck driver seemed to come to life, rapidly swung his rig onto the shoulder of the road and away from the car in front of him. The truck swerved dangerously, kicking up dirt and gravel before straightening and barrelling on through the red light.

The gods were with all of us at that moment because no-one was in the cross road, either, so no-one was hurt. I sat there in shock as the truck driver gunned it and disappeared on the highway ahead. A lot of us had been very close to a tragedy in the making that day and it really makes you realize how it can all happen so quickly.

How many of us have sat in a doctor's office waiting to hear whether the results of tests are good or bad? How many of us have been roused out of a peaceful moment by a phone call which changed our lives forever? We're all just a moment away from having to change course and follow a new path that's been set for us.

I do savor life and live it as though each moment is my last. We can't take anything for granted so we do need to relish and be thankful for all that we have. My family is what I love and cherish more than anything else on earth so I have my priorities straight. Nothing else on earth is as important as giving and receiving love from those who matter to you. When and if tragedy strikes your family, it will be the strength of that family bond that will see you through it.

I've noticed throughout my life that most of the life changing moments are for the good, though. And it's exciting to follow that new path because that's what makes life worth living. Sometimes the new path is created by adding a child or in-law to the package and then your world expands. Sometimes a new friend fills a void in your life that you weren't even aware existed.

Life was never meant to be a constant but let's all hope we escape the tragedies and have many, many good changes in our lives.

No comments: