Sunday, March 11, 2012

There Comes A Time

There comes a time, a moment, when all is clear and you know without a doubt that you must act. Sometimes that moment forces you to do what you don't want to do but you know that placing one foot in front of the other is the right thing to do.

When my husband was dying, I hated every moment of watching him move closer to death but, at the end, I would have gladly snuffed out his life rather than watch him suffer needlessly. He knew the moment, too, because he strongly stated that he was ready to go, as though he'd thought about it for months and knew the time had come. I knew he was only days from death and that his wish would come true quickly but, when I look back, it would have been kinder to have taken his life at that very moment.

But there comes a time to let go, to let go of a beloved child who leaves the nest to begin building their own adult lives; to let go of a lover who has moved on; to let go of plans that you know will never come to fruition. Letting go can be painful but it's also a way of your mind allowing you to carry on with your own life in a new way.

I've "let go" of many, many hopes and dreams in my lifetime but it wasn't the end for me. I built new ones and that's the nice thing about the human spirit...despite setbacks, we can keep on trucking if we just give ourselves half a chance. Letting go doesn't mean giving up, it means taking a different path.

There will always be that moment when we know that things have changed and we have to act on the change but it can be done. It's either that or we give in to a life of unhappiness. Like a wise person once said, "I choose to be happy.", and that's a philosophy I try to follow.

No comments: