Thursday, May 24, 2012

Squirrel News

$395 with tax later, I find out that the metal cages around the roof vents were how the bloody squirrels got in again but it wasn't because they'd chewed through the metal.  When metal cages are put in, they have a little door where they attach a sort of funnel so that the squirrels can get out but can't get back in.  After the squirrels are all out, the funnel is removed and a permanent door closes the opening.  Apparently one of those doors is missing.  I don't know whether that was caused by the people who installed the cages or by the roofers when they put my new roof on.  In any case, that's how the squirrels got back in.


In a related story, a big black squirrel tried to get in the screened patio door yesterday and I had to shoo him away.  A short while later I noticed that a large geranium on the deck had been completely shovelled out of the pot, presumable by a squirrel.  Today I chased squirrels off the deck only to discover a while later that the same geranium (which I'd repotted) had again been tossed out of the pot.  I'm starting to feel as though the squirrels are out to get me because they know they're being evicted from my house.


I feel strangely like a landlord who has unruly and unpaying tenants who are fighting to stay put.  One good thing is that there are no legal loopholes to stop me from kicking them out on their butts.

No comments: