Monday, June 25, 2012

Benefits of Old Age

I seem to keep accumulating the benefits of old age and what started out as sort of an embarrassment has now become an "okay, I'll take it!".


There's no question that I couldn't remain in my house if I didn't have great neighbors that I know I can run to in any emergency.  Isabel and Steve watch over my house in the winter when I'm lolling in Florida.  John carts away any trash the garbage truck won't touch.  Lisa and Anna keep an eye on my well-being and their father cuts my grass.  Wilf snowblows the sidewalk in winter and Steve clears the driveway so he can park in my driveway...making my house look occupied.


We got a new neighbor last month, a young lady who bought the house on her own but who has parents who come over and do her gardening and repairs.  Well, her father came to my door last evening to introduce himself and offered to cut my grass when he cuts his daughter's.  I barely hesitated before accepting his kind offer.


I'm settling into old age comfortably, gradually more willing to accept help when offered.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing or if I'm being selfish, trying to stay in a home I can't fully take care of by myself any more.  But I am grateful for the kindness of my neighbors!   


No comments: