Sunday, June 24, 2012

Trash in the Mail

Yesterday I noticed something sticking out of the mailbox and innocently picked it up.  There is no mail here on Saturday so it hadn't come with regular mail.  I just about threw up my lunch when I looked at the photo on the front of this sort of postcard (maybe twice the size of a postcard) because, in living color, I was assaulted with a picture of an 8 week aborted fetus.


I was angry enough to check out who had put this in my mailbox and discovered a few websites that had taken responsibility...all sort of ambiguous but definitely from the Right to Life fanatics.


How they had the nerve to place a photo like this at unsuspecting citizen's homes is an absolute shame.  I wondered how images like this would affect a child or a grieving woman who had miscarried.  It was sent for shock value but the senders didn't care who it shocked or what the effect would be.  In their narrow minded fanaticism they were simply trying to prove a point, that a fetus was a potential person, and they believed abortion under any circumstances was wrong.


My personal opinion is that it is a shame for any child to be aborted but we have to weigh that against the right of a woman over her own body.  It can't be easy for any woman to choose abortion and she'll probably suffer a degree of shame all of her life but we can't take away her right to choose whether or not to carry a baby to term.


For the "right to lifers", they have no right in the world to leave such offensive material in anyone's mailbox.  They have no right to assault passers-by with vivid images of aborted fetuses, either.  What they are doing is terrorizing private citizens who might or might not agree with their beliefs.

No comments: