Saturday, June 09, 2012

Salvation Army Yard Sale

It was a dark and stormy morning for a yard sale but at least my rented tables were inside the building.  Cindy and Don arrived about 6:45 A.M. to help load up some merchandise in their vehicle and Kim arrived about 15 minutes later.  She drove with me and all 4 of us unloaded the 2 cars and carted everything inside.  I'm not sure I could handle these sales without help and I do feel kind of guilty for dragging my poor family into my ventures.  They say they like it but I hear a lot of moans and groans when I mention the early departure times.


Don is new to these sales and was lots of help setting up and good enough to hang around with us all morning when I'm sure he would have been happier somewhere else.  He's seeming more like a son-in-law every day.


Sales started out slowly and I began to just hope to make enough to cover the table rental...$30...but I was really pleased to see sales pick up and give me about a $120 profit for the morning which I think was better than I'd ever had before.  Donna came and stayed with us for a while and then Faye and Wayne showed up.  Wayne is visiting for the week and it was so good to see him after such a long time.  I'll be having dinner at Faye's tomorrow night and getting to see him again, hopefully for a nice long chat.


One of the tables I rented was for household goods that I just wanted to get rid of so anything not sold was left there as a donation.  That made it a lot easier than repacking it and taking it to the Salvation Army store I usually do.  I'm looking forward to the next yard sale there in September.  Two sales a year will suit me just fine.


I managed an afternoon nap before going over to Kim's for a birthday dinner for Nick.  He was 28 on June 7th but it seems like just yesterday he was my sweet baby grandson #1.  He's now my sweet manly grandson #1.  Nolan and Nash kept us entertained as usual.  They are so precious.  We're a lucky family to have so many loving and loved members.


It finally got a little too hectic and noisy for me so I headed home to my quiet abode and settled in to an evening of T.V. and computer time.  I cherish my alone time just as long as I don't have it all the time.  It's nice to have a good mixture of social activity and solitude, at least that's how I like it.


All in all, I had a terrific day.  I got to spend a lot of time with some of the people I love most and then I also got to meet some really interesting people at the yard sale, too.  My dinner was cooked for me by Kim and then I got to hang out with Nick, Natasha, Nolan, Nash, and Matt, too.  And when I began to yearn for my quiet house, I could just say my goodbyes and leave.  Being an elder has some darned nice advantages.   

No comments: